Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Worth the Fall by Claudia Conner, worth the tears.

 


I don't cry.

I mean I cry at funerals and perhaps a spare happy tear drops at a wedding, but for the most part my big brown eyes remain dry. Something happened to me as I read Worth the Fall, I became totally engaged in the book and could not wait to turn the page. I wanted to see this smokin' hot Navy SEAL Matt McKinney fall for the lonely and lovely Abby.

Several obstacles stood in the way of my happiness. First, he was totally hot, seemingly a player, and oh yea, he was a SEAL between deployments. She was recently widowed with four small children and expecting a fifth. I knew they would get their HEA at some point, but I could not imaging this wonderful man growing to love her and her children so quickly.

Their story was tender, sweet and filled me with many emotions, and not to give away too many spoilers, I was actually crying over the last few chapters. I found myself being angry at this man who promised to love her and never leave her, but leaves her, albiet with his family nearby, with a newborn baby (does he not understand hormones???)He knew she had a horrid childhood and spent her whole life feeling unworthy, and in the end he leaves.

I wanted her to pack up the whole damn family and move, sending him a clear signal that she was not going to come in second to anyone else again, but she is so grief stricken she can barely function, which of course made me curse Matt McKinney's name a few times. She does not leave, and he does come back, but not without some serious fallout with her, his family and the children, which were recovering from the loss of one dad already.

This was not a book with humorous situations, or an erotic fantasy, this book really has some guts to it and will hit you in yours.

No comments: